Thursday, September 19, 2013

TMI!

There are, by my last count, about eleventy jillion sources of marketing, small business, entrepreneurship, and leadership information on the internet and in print.

I may have rounded that number there a little bit.

The thing is, while much of it is repetitive - how many times can we post about (x) number of tips for Facebook and nag us about not using the standard text for LinkedIn connection requests - there's a lot pretty good stuff out there.
You can read another post about how
to screw up on LinkedIn, or look at cute
cat pictures.  Decisions, decisions.

There are very interesting insights, genuinely useful tips, and critical information that might actually make a huge difference in our businesses and our lives.

The problem is, we can't possibly read or comprehend it all.  For most of us, it's not our jobs to track or curate this content (although it is mine, kind of - that's what I try to do in my social media networks, especially in my Twitter feed).

It becomes a huge amount of noise - useful, interesting noise. It becomes close to impossible to wrap your mind around it all.

I hear this from lots of my friends in the small business community - that they can't keep up with all of the information.  Honestly, I've been struggling with it myself.

So here's what I'm going to do.

I'm going to hone in on a few outstanding curators of excellent marketing and small business information and stick to them from now on.  I may miss some really awesome insights, but that's the way it's got to be.

I suggest you do the same - but please keep me in your feeds, ok?  OK!

Let me know how you handle the information overload in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment