Tuesday, September 17, 2013

This Business Is Serious: The Professional

I've been thinking about "professionalism" lately.

I think it's easy to fall into making judgments about what is "professional" or not, as if it's some universal and obvious quality.

Typically, one hallmark of "professionalism" here in the United States is always keeping a calm, collected, and above all, serious (but friendly) demeanor.

This leads us to tone down our clothing, our sense of humor, our hobbies and passions and things we hold very dear.

We strip all the personality out of what we say and do, in order to conform to this "professional" image.

I think this is a mistake, especially when you are small.

People want to do business with people they know and like.  If you take the "you" out, how can they know or like you?

You see, one advantage we have over the big guys (usually) is the fact that people can actually have relationships with us - the honest-to-goodness people providing a good or service to other honest-to-goodness people.

We aren't a faceless corporation that treats customers like accounts rather than human beings!

So, don't be afraid to have a sense of humor, or to be colorful and memorable, if that is your personality. Don't wear the uniform of a banker if you are a carpenter or artist or air conditioner repair guy.  Don't hide your passion for fishing, or skiing, or (like me) the martial arts.

Don't completely take the "you" our of your business.

I have a joke in my LinkedIn profile (tip - look at the education section). I've been told a couple of times (especially when I was job hunting) to remove that joke, as it might look "unprofessional".

You know what? If that joke makes a potential employer or partner think I'm not right for them, well, they are probably right! Because that joke goes to the heart of who I am, and I'm going to bring that to work with me.  If that joke turns you off, then yeah, we're not a good match.

And that's okay with me.

In closing, when I think of "The Professionals", this is what comes to my mind. Some language at the end NSFW, so keep your earphones on!


Agree? Disagree? Want to talk about this movie?  Let me know in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment