Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The Fear of Hope

Since 1991, I've been a huge fan of the Kansas City Chiefs.

If you follow the National Football League, then you know that the Chiefs have been pretty bad for quite some time now.  In fact, they lost 14 out of 16 games last year.

Even in good years, the Chiefs are somewhat of a joke, having failed to get past the first round of the playoffs since 1993 (that means we are 0-6 in the playoffs in twenty years).

Oh yes, I'm bringing it, buckaroo.
This year (as of this writing), the Chiefs are undefeated in five games. In fact, it's an unprecedented turnaround and Sundays are definitely more fun when your team is winning!

I expect, however, that my team will collapse back into mediocrity yet again, or, horrors, they will make the playoffs and get beat in the first game again. As usual.

History would suggest I would be wise to expect the worst - after all, in twenty-two years, that's what I've ultimately gotten, right?  Disappointment after disappointment.

Well, the thing is - this is a different team, a different year, and the circumstances are different.  Logically, it would be silly for me to think that the prior two decades has anything to do with this year's team.

But I just can't totally give in to the hope JUST yet. Because of the history, because of the pain of hopes getting dashed again.

Are you running your business this way?

Are you letting history override your good judgement and optimism for the future?  Things constantly change and are always in flux, so history, while an indicator, is not always the best way to guide your business.  Just because something worked (or failed) in the past, isn't always a fair indicator of how it might do in the future.

Sometimes you don't have the right people or plan in place to make a great idea work.

If you've had a lot of struggles in your business and have experienced a lot of failure, you might be tempted to just give it up as a lost cause.  I certainly have, as a Chiefs fan.  I remember how horrible it was last year, how embarrassing, and I felt like giving up my beloved team and latching on to another team that might have a modicum of hope of success.

Here's the thing - if  I'd quit my fandom last year, after the worst year in franchise history, I wouldn't be witnessing the greatest comeback in NFL history this year.  The experience I've had, as a fan this year, is unprecedented and joyful.  If I'd quit, I'd have missed this amazing experience.

What will you miss out on, if you allow the past to force you to quit?

No comments:

Post a Comment